Friday, December 18, 2009

Weekly Debriefing 016

Begin Transmission.

Well, it looks like I'm going to have a spy-fi holiday after all.

Originally, it didn't appear that my wife and I were going to have any gifts under the tree this year, but courtesy of my generous in-laws and a few giftcards, I was able to order a handful of items to fill a few gaps in my spy-fi collection. For one, I'm finally going to get my hands on Matt Blake and David Deal's The Eurospy Guide, which I've had on my Amazon wishlist for at least four years.

I'll confess - not having a copy of this book on my shelf made me feel a bit like a fraud as a spy blogger. I'm glad I'll be able to rectify this now... and I can't wait to dive more deeply into the Eurospy waters, since I know I've only barely broken the surface with my explorations to date.

I don't know if it's in the book, but at the same time I ordered a really inexpensive disc called Code 7 Victim 5, which appears to be a Eurospy-esque crime thriller starring Lex Barker. I got it yesterday. It's a pretty crappy pan & scan print, but it still looks like it might be fun.

Finally, thanks to low sale prices at Best Buy, I was also able to order the seasons of Mission: Impossible (Seasons 1, 2 & 5) and I Spy (Season 3) that I was missing, so now I'll finally have complete DVD runs of those 60s genre essentials. I'm especially looking forward to filling the holes in my Mission: Impossible library, as it's become one of my favorite spy-fi shows ever, combining - as it does - both the espionage and "caper" genres. I've never seen any of the first season episodes, and I'm eager to do so.

Hopefully, this means I'll have some new stuff to write about here in the new year.

Whatever you celebrate this season, I wish all readers of the Spy-Fi Channel, my fellow C.O.B.R.A.S. and pretty much everyone else, a great holiday and a happy new year. Thanks for visiting my site and reading my ravings, and I look forward to sharing more Spy-Fi goodness with you all in 2010!

End Transmission.

2 comments:

Christopher Mills said...

I received my copy of The Eurospy Guide today. Aside from the usual amateurish design work by the MidMar folks, it looks to be a useful reference book, content-wise.

Of course, I already disagree with a couple of the reviews, so it should make a lively read. :)

Chris Well said...

You get to watch the early seasons of M:I -- great! Our collection was also courtesy some fabulous bargains, so we're up to Season 6 ... which I finished watching yesterday. I never really got to see these before, even as reruns, so it's been a blast.