Monday, December 28, 2009

New Spy-Fi Poll

Shortly after the first of the year, I plan on devoting a theme week here at the Spy-Fi Channel to the films based on author Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan" character/novels. I'll be re-watching and reviewing the first three movies - The Hunt For Red October, Patriot Games and Clear And Present Danger - and watching 2002's The Sum of All Fears for the first time, courtesy of the convenience of Netflix.

Man, I haven't even seen the first three in a very long time; I last watched them back when I bought them on laserdisc... so that should give you an idea of just how much time has passed.

While I'm preparing those posts, I'd be curious as to the opinions of our regular Channel visitors regarding those films, so if you get a moment, please cast your vote in the poll. You'll find it over there in the left-hand sidebar, as usual.

And, just in case I don't get back here before then, Happy New Year, everyone!

6 comments:

Armstrong Sabian said...

This is a hard one, because I also really like Clear and Present Danger -- mostly because I like the cast, especially Joaquim de Almeida. But my vote went to Hunt for Red October. That one, and the book it was based on of course, were some of my favorites at that point when I was switching over to reading grown-up books.

Ian Sokoliwski said...

For me, it's not even close. THfRO is not only my fave Clancy movie, it's one of my fave movies ever.
Such a beautifully-crafted film, with every scene, every line of dialogue, every seemingly-throwaway gag leading to the ending. A textbook on how to make a stunning action film.

Shanksow said...

I also like Hunt for Red October.
Of the two Harrison Ford movies of this series, I like CPD over PG. I only wished that Harrison Ford did a few more of those books. I didn't like The Sum of All Fears-it left me feeling let down. I only saw it in the movie theater, I never bought the DVD of that film.

Jason Whiton said...

Happy New Year, Chris! I'm enjoying your posts and polls :)

-Jace

Chris Well said...

I also voted RED OCTOBER. The Harrison Ford films were ok, but it troubled me that in PRESENT DANGER they dropped some key stuff from the novel ... which tied into the next story. Of course, the next story was SUM OF ALL FEARS, which the filmmakers turned into prequel, so it wouldn't have tracked anyway. (Here's the question: Should I even bother to watch SUM OF ALL FEARS? I guess I'll wait for the official Spy-Fi review to find out.)

Jason Whiton said...

I enjoyed Sum of All Fears when it came out. I think it may be more self-conscious than the others, but a fun ride.