Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Burchett Cries U.N.C.L.E.

My pal and collaborator Rick Burchett (Gravedigger, Skorpion) recently sent me this unpublished page of U.N.C.L.E. art, and when I asked him if I could share it with the readers of the Spy-Fi Channel, he graciously consented.

According to Rick, he's been working on expanding his portfolio recently, and has been taking the opportunity to draw some things that he's always wanted to try his hand at - especially subjects that are unlikely to actually come his way professionally. (Aside from The Man From U.N.C.L.E. sample above, he's also drawn a Have Gun Will Travel Sunday newspaper strip!)

I want to be clear - this is not from an actual comic book. It's simply an art sample that Rick drew for fun and his portfolio. Hope you enjoy this peek at some U.N.C.L.E. fan art by a pro!

Art © by Rick Burchett and used with permission.

8 comments:

bish8 said...

COOL STUFF! THANKS FOR THE PEEK!

Anonymous said...

Would LOVE to see the Have Gun Will Travel art as well!

Martin Powell said...

Never really been a fan of U.N.C.L.E (although I had their spy-gun as a kid), but this page is very fun. Would love to see Rich's HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL. Incidentally, he did an exceptional job on my SUPERMAN story, "The Stolen Super-Powers".

Drake said...

See in a perfect world this would be a comic book. Fantastic work.

Tanner said...

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. Oh, if only UNCLE would return to comics...

Armstrong Sabian said...

One of the most underrated comic artists of the modern age. Blackhawk. Batman/Huntress: CFB. ...And something called Gravedigger. Ever heard of it?

Has Rick ever been inked by Kevin Nowlan?

paul howley said...

I was the publisher of the official Man From Uncle comic books of the 1980s...MAN! I wish Rick had been around in those days!

Christopher Mills said...

You probably don't remember me, Paul, but you actually hired me, fresh out of the Kubert School, to draw one of those. Unfortunately, I wasn't up to the job and had to drop out. Always felt horrible about that.

It wasn't long after that that I decided to forget about drawing comics and turned to writing and editing them instead.