Thursday, November 12, 2009

Weekly Debriefing 015

Begin Transmission:

• The Channel has been issuing little but static of late, and I apologize. I've been very busy recently with several writing projects and various pressing personal issues (not to mention kicking off yet another pop-culture genre blog). Also, aside from my weekly 007 films with my wife (this is week #19 and A View to A Kill), there has been very little Spy-Fi action going on around here.

I do have a couple of reviews partially written (OSS 117: Murder For Sale and T.R. Sloane/Death Ray 2000), and I just got software for my computer that allows me to take screen captures off of DVDs, so there will be some new material shortly. I also plan on adding photos to some of my older reviews as I get time.

• One of the projects I've been working on is tenuously Spy-Fi related - an all-new prose anthology featuring adventures of the classic radio/comics/serial/television character Captain Midnight. Long in the works, I've now delivered the final components to the publisher, and it should be out in the late Spring of '10. I'm the editor of the anthology and wrote the "Bible" for this version of the character, which is set in an alternate history where WWII never happened.

Captain Midnight is the commander of an independent, world wide intelligence and peace-keeping force known as The Secret Squadron, and some of his adventures are genuine espionage thrillers. In fact, his primary nemesis is a would-be world conqueror named Ivan Shark, a megalomaniac in the Bond-villain mold. Contributors to the anthology include New York Times best-selling author/aviation expert John J. Nance (Medusa's Child, Pandora's Clock), Stephen Mertz (The Korean Intercept), Chuck Dixon, Robert Greenberger, Trina Robbins, Mark Justice, Tim Lasiuta, Win Scott Eckert, Howard Hopkins, Robert Jeschonek, and yours truly. The cover art is by my pal Richard Clark.

Rich and I will also be teaming up on a series of Captain Midnight comic book stories as well.

• While I may have been neglecting my spy blogging duties, the rest of the COBRAS have not been idle. In fact, a new agent has joined us in our goal of global blog domination. Specifically, Peter Lorenz of The Illustrated 007 - The Art of James Bond.

I've been a fan of Peter's blog for a while now. He's doing an incredible job scouring the world for virtually every piece of illustration related to our favorite MI6 agent. Book covers, film posters, comic books, magazine illustrations... you name it, he's got it. His site is a must for both Bond fans and art lovers.

• In my last Debriefing I mentioned rumors about the 80s spy series Scarecrow & Mrs. King coming to DVD in 2010. Well, the first season has been confirmed for March. TV Shows on DVD has the cover art and additional details.

• Well, that's about it for now. Hopefully, things will settle down for me this winter and I'll be back to posting more regularly.

End Transmission.

1 comment:

Janus said...

Any chance we'll be seeing new versions of the Captain Midnight decoder badges?