Monday, November 16, 2009

Obit: Edward Woodward, R.I.P.

Edward Woodward, the distinguished and intense star of the Spy-Fi television series Callan and The Equalizer, passed away yesterday at age 79.

I'm a huge fan of The Equalizer and Woodward's portrayal of Robert McCall, an ex-spy who used his espionage skills to help those in trouble against terrible odds. It was refreshing to have a television hero who had maturity, class, and intelligence, but also knew when to blow away the bad guys with his PPK. Woodward brought both great dignity and a convincing toughness to the role, and received numerous awards for his performance on the show.

Woodward was a very fine actor, and I enjoyed watching him in almost anything he appeared in, from the original Wicker Man and Breaker Morant to Hot Fuzz. He'll be missed.

1 comment:

Zokko said...

I like the scene in the 'Callan' movie where he reads a book on military warfare whilst hardening his hands in sand. You'd never catch Bond doing that. I loved 'The Equalizer' too. By a sad coincidence, I bought a D.V.D. of the first series only a few days ago. Yes, 'the original 'Wicker Man' is the best, thanks to Woodward. R.I.P.