Friday, July 31, 2009

Weekly Debriefing 008

Begin transmission:

Not much going on, spy-fi-wise, over the last week, as I've been busy with various projects and devoting much of my leisure time to some of my other pop culture obsessions (Dr. Who, Godzilla, super-hero cartoons).

• Just about the only genre "event" of note was that I received my copy of the Dr. Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine DVD, and gave it a spin last night. I really had fun with it. Vincent Price is one of my favorite actors of all time, and I'm kinda amazed that I never managed to see this one before.

I almost always enjoy AIP comedy films of the era (though the apparent appeal of Harvey Lembeck' s "Eric Von Zipper" character continues to elude me, so I found his cameo in Goldfoot a bit irritating; Annette's was cute, though) and I had a lot of fun with the movie. The girls were gorgeous, the San Francisco locations were picturesque, and I thought the whole Pit & The Pendulum sequence was admirably shameless on the producers' part. I also thought it was interesting that AIP assumed that their teenage audiences would be familiar enough with the studio's product to pick up on all the in-jokes and references.

I'm glad I picked it up, and wish the sequel was on DVD. I know both films can be watched online at hulu.com, but I hate watching movies on a computer screen.

• I'd been thinking about it for a while, and I think I'm going to try and watch all the James Bond movies – one a week – in chronological order. To that end, I spun the Dr. No Blu-Ray this evening. This was the first time I'd watched the movie in hi-def, and I was knocked back by the amazing restoration work done by the studio. It looked gorgeous.

• That's pretty much it for the last week of July. How was yours?

End transmission.

1 comment:

NoelCT said...

I'd been thinking about it for a while, and I think I'm going to try and watch all the James Bond movies – one a week – in chronological order.

Me and my dad did that together about a year back. You really do get a good sense of the ups and downs as the various creative teams pass through. Hope you enjoy the experience.