Monday, July 13, 2009

Review: BURN NOTICE - The End Game

I've been laid up for the last four days with the gout, of all things. Aside from the embarrassingly medieval nature of the ailment, I have an unusually high tolerance to pain medications, so while they don't do much to alleviate the agony, they do mess up my head and make it difficult to concentrate.

Which is one reason why it took me so long to finish Tod Goldberg's second Burn Notice tie-in novel, The End Game.

Overall, it's pretty much as good as the first of his BN books, set somewhere during the first half of the second season of the show. As with the first, very little attention is given to Westen's ongoing investigation into his burn. However, the story, in which Westen, Sam and Fi become involved in big-bucks yacht racing and the Mafia, is twisty, exciting and involving. It's good stuff and a good read.

I only have one minor quibble with the writing – though, truth be told, I don't quite know how Goldberg could have handled it any other way. It bugged me a bit in the first novel, too. As the books are written from Michael Westen's POV in first-person, whenever Sam or Fi go off to handle their parts of the operation on their own, we are to assume that they filled Michael in on all the details afterward. Problem is, there are a lot of details, and it just seems unrealistic that Michael would be able to relate their experiences – and reactions and emotions – with such thoroughness.

As I said, I don't really know how else the author could handle such scenes, and probably wouldn't even be noticeable to most readers, but it did nag at me a bit.

The End Game is a thoroughly entertaining crime novel, and very faithful to its television source. Fans of the show should be reading these books.

2 comments:

Tanner said...

Yikes! Gout? That sounds unpleasant. I hope you get better quickly!

Badelaire said...

Ditto on the gout thing.

Had no idea someone was publishing media tie-in novels for Burn Notice. This is a great show, and although my coverage has been spotty, I really dig it. Especially great to see Bruce Campbell getting steady work on a great television series - I swear he's the most successful when he's not the lead character of whatever project he's rolling on.