Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I Spy-Fi

I want to thank everyone who's tuned into the Spy-Fi Channel in the week or so of its existence. I've been going through a bit of a funk lately, and although the last thing I probably needed was to start up yet another blog, in practice, it has turned out to be pretty good therapy.

I had lost a lot of enthusiasm for my trade – which is writing – of late, but turning my attention to a new (or mostly new) subject for a while has helped restore some of that energy. Also, I recently scored bootlegs of A Man Called Sloane and wanted to share the giddy nostalgia I've experienced upon revisiting the series. I've often said that my tastes in entertainment peaked when I was about fifteen, and I'm sure it's no coincidence that Sloane debuted during my fifteenth year...

Anyway, I'm currently re-reading the Alan Caillou spy novel A League of Hawks, and intend to review it and its sequel here once I'm done. Caillou was an interesting guy – author, adventurer, actor – and I remember enjoying his two novels about MI6 researcher-cum-spy, Ian Quayle, when they came out back in the mid-80's. We'll see how they hold up.

I'm also hoping to get my hands on Charlie Higson's fourth Young Bond novel, Hurricane Gold, soon. It only recently came out here in the U.S., and if I wasn't so short of cash, I would have snatched it up as soon as it hit the shelves. I've loved the first three books in the series, and am eager to lay my hands on the latest.

Since I was inducted into the COBRAS so recently, I haven't had the time to prepare a post for their June roundtable, "Man Vs. Machine." However, I've rented the Michael Caine "Harry Palmer" film Billion Dollar Brain from Netflix, and hope to view it and review it before the week is up. I've never actually seen any of the Palmer films before (shocking, I know), and while this is the third in the original trilogy, it looks to be right up my alley.

If you want to check out what the other COBRAS are writing about on this topic, check out the links to the left.

Anyway, thanks again for stopping by; I'll have another Sloane review up soon – "The Demon's Triangle!"

1 comment:

Armstrong Sabian said...

I certainly wish you the best in breaking out of that writing rut, but we're glad to have you hear writing about secret agents too!